New Orleans Style Brunch Ideas: Jambalaya, Garlic Cheese Grits & Bread Pudding


 Brunch is one of my favorite meals probably because I love breakfast food.

With Mother's Day right around the corner, I thought it would be a good time to share a few really popular dishes that when you have them,
 you think of New Orleans.

The restaurants in and around New Orleans offer Mother's Day Brunch menus, but this year due to COVID19, many will have to have their
Mother's Day brunches at home.

Here are a few dishes and recipesthat would make
the perfect addition to a brunch menu.

Jambalaya
Bread Pudding
Garlic Cheese Grits
(ideas to serve with these dishes are listed below)

Even Though we would normally think of these dishes as dinner,
they lend themselves beautifully among
biscuits, eggs Benedict, bacon, ham fruit,
and Bloody Marys.

If you have followed me for a while or know me, you know that
I love to eat, and I enjoy cooking
BUT
I love convenience.

All three of those are why I was so excited to have found years ago
a family giving samples of their jambalaya mix
at my Sams Club one weekend.

Yes Y'ALL!!!! 

This jambalaya is from a mix
and is the BEST jambalaya I have ever had or have even made.

Kenny and I have had lots of jambalaya from all over New Orleans.
We both come from a family of cooks that pride
 themselves on being good cooks so believe me when I say that
this is some good jambalaya.


(This video was made during the 2020 pandemic of COVID19 
which will explain my comment about cooking more often.)

I can find Jambalaya Girl in my locally owned groceries.
I live in the New Orleans area.
If you don't live in the New Orleans area, you can order from
their website (I am not associated with Jambalaya Girl)
or from my affiliated Amazon below...
which is PRIME and sold on Amazon from Jambalaya Girl!!
All three of us have win with Amazon.


I am an Amazon Affiliate with commission earned.

What's a New Orleans' meal without a signature dessert?

This bread pudding recipe in my opinion is better than some
of the famous NO restaurants' bread puddings.
It's a Southern Living recipe and is sooooo good.

I make it and not only does my family eat it for dessert, they eat it for breakfast.  It reminds them of  a french toast casserole....
at least that is what they say so they can eat dessert for breakfast.

Read and print recipe below.

  



Bread Pudding (Southern Living recipe)
1-1lb of French bread
2 cups of half and half
Tear bread in small pieces into a large bowl.  Add half and half and let soak for 10 minutes.
While waiting:
3 large eggs slightly beaten
Add to eggs:
2 cups of milk
2 cups of sugar
1 tbl + 1 tsp of vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
Add above egg mixture to french bread mixture and mix well. 
1/4 c. butter melted 
Pour butter into a 9x13 pan and tilt pan to coat the pan evenly.  Add mixture to pan.  Bake 325 for 60 minutes or until firm. 
Whiskey Sauce
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup half and half
2 tbl whiskey
Combine first three ingredients in saucepan and cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and add the whiskey. 
(I personally add the whiskey when I reduce the heat to simmer for 5 minutes.)  Makes about 1 1/2 cup of sauce so you may want to double depending on how many like sauce.  It's great without the sauce. 
Another great addition to a New Orleans style brunch is garlic cheese grits. I do not have photos to show you how yummy this dish is, but anything with garlic and cheese you know has to be good. 


Garlic Cheese Grits (From the River Road Recipes III Healthy Collection)

1                cup uncooked grits (NOT INSTANT)
3 ¾   cups water
½      teaspoon salt
1/3  cup skim milk
3       tablespoons tub margarine (I use butter since there is nothing really healthy about this recipe and since butter is honestly healthier than margarine.)
½     teaspoon garlic powder
4      oz light Velveeta cheese
1    cup grated reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
1    tablespoon Worcestershire sauce


Directions:

Cook the grits in salted water.  Once cooked, stir in milk and cook a few more minutes.  Then add the butter, garlic powder, Velveeta cheese, sharp cheddar and Worcestershire sauce.  Stir until butter and cheeses have melted.  Put in a casserole sprayed with vegetable oil cooking spray and sprinkle with paprika (optional). Bake in preheated 350* oven for 15-20 minutes.

Serves: 8
Submitted by Mrs. J.L. Hochenedel
River Road Recipes, pg. 56 


Ideas to serve with these dishes:
bacon, baked ham
eggs Benedict....any kind of eggs or egg casserole
pulled pork (click for recipe)
Southern style biscuits
fried chicken


To give your brunch that New Orleans Jazz Brunch feel, make a playlist of New Orleans Jazz music. 

I have also used these dishes at baby showers and other large gatherings.
The bread pudding is great doubled. 

If you have any questions, email me or comment below.

ENJOY!!


Comments

Popular Posts