Pulled Pork and It's Multi-Talents



I am not sure there is a bite of pulled pork that I have not enjoyed......
How about you? 
 It is my go to meat when I need to feed a large crowd or when my week is filled with after school activities. 

 A pulled pork is enough meat that I can make several different meals off of that one roast. It will get my family of five a different dinner for at least 2 nights, if not 3, of out of the week. The meals can be so different that no one complains about having pork again. 

 I am happy to share with you the easiest way I prepare a pulled pork. We have a barbeque-pit and two smokers here at the house and everytime I cook pulled pork, I pull out my crockpot. The crockpot is so easy and convenient. 

 And if I am being really honest...... I am not a huge fan of the "smoked" flavor that the wood chips used in a smoker gives the meat. 

Here I share the recipe with you along with a few pictures below. 
(CLICK HERE for printable version)  

If you keep scrolling, you'll see that I also share with you a list of the different dishes that I make with a pulled pork.  If you make a different dish with pulled pork, I would love for you to share those with me.  

A Bone-In Pork Boston Butt:
  Bone-in is usually cheaper when purchasing meat.
After cooking this meat for about 8 hours,
it will fall right off the bone.  

Dry rub seasoning is my preferred way of seasoning my pork roast.
There is usually a slab of fat on one end of the roast.  I trim as much off as I can.
A Boston Butt/Shoulder roast is full of marble fat,
but that is what helps make it juicy and tender. 
Don't worry about fat within because once you shred it, you can pick the fat out easily.
Note:  There is a piece of wax paper under my raw roast. 



My FAVORITE seasoning is this new
 Lawry's Casero Adobo.
It gives the pork the flavors of my favorite Lechon Asado
which is a Cuban Style pork roast.
See printed version of  how I use Lawry's Seasoning Salt with brown sugar.

I generously cover the roast in the dry seasoning.
 I rub it into meat as though I was applying lotion to it.
Make sure you coat all sides with the seasoning. 

Place the roast in the crockpot with the side that has the most fat facing up.
By cooking with the fattiest side up,
it allows the juices from the fat to drain throughout the meat as it cooks.
The fat aids in making the roast tender.
Don't worry.... you can discard the fat at the end.  
Keep scrolling.

The secret to a lot of cooking is
"LONG and SLOW is the WAY to GO".
This definitely applies to a pork roast.
Cook on low for 8 hours. 
If it is a larger roast and you have the time, 10 hours is great too

I never disturb my roast as it cooks.
When the time is done, I remove roast with tongs to a pan
lined with foil as I prepare to shred the meat. 

These bear claw shredders make shredding/pulling the pork in shreds easily.
You could use a fork, but these are worth the few dollars they cost. 
The meat is hot even after it sits for 10 minutes and two forks
kind of leaves your fingers to vulnerable to the heat of the meat.  

As you shred the meat, separate the fat from the meat and discard it.  

The meat will make its own au jus meaning "with juice".
The au jus will be what remains in the crockpot once you remove the meat.
This is great to use to baste the pork so it doesn't dry out,
but it's best to remove the fat from it.
Pour the juices from the crockpot into a measuring cup and let it sit for a few minutes.
The fat will rise to the top separating from the actual juices of the meat.
The fat can then be spooned off the top and discarded.
A measuring cup such as this one above allows you to pour
the au jus on to the meat as it keeps the fat out of the spout. 

This measuring cup also come with a strainer top
that collects any meat debris from the au jus. 


Once the meat is shredded, I place it back into the crockpot set on warm.  I will pour just a little of the au jus on meat to keep it moist until we are ready to eat it or until I am ready to use it in a dish such as enchiladas.  I don't want the meat to dry out.  

I also save the  remaining au jus in the measuring cup.  I place a piece of foil over it and put it in the fridge.  The au jus and the fat will congeal separately from each other which makes it very easy to discard the fat from the au jus for future uses.  

Pulled Pork is great for the following dinners:

  • as a side with a side of rice or potatoes with vegetables
  • add your favorite BBQ sauce and add to a bun for a pulled pork sandwich...great with a coleslaw or potato salad
  • add to soft tortillas for pulled pork tacos -add  your favorite toppings
  • add to a tostada shell with your favorite toppings for an open face taco 
  • add to a ciabatta bun with a ham, swiss cheese, mustard and a pickle to make a Cuban. 
  • fill corn tortillas with the pork and cheese and top with enchilada sauce and cheese to make pork enchiladas
  • spread out tortilla chips in a pan and top with pork and other nacho toppings; drizzle with chipotle and a sweet bbq sauce for a yummy pork nacho. 
Shop the items used in this recipe on Amazon.com.*




*I appreciate you shopping my links. I am an affiliate and do get a small commission on items purchased when you shop the links. 

Comments

Popular Posts